Saturday, June 25, 2016

Our Words at Work Porject: First Blog/Vlog Post!

It is currently June 22, 2016. I am sitting in a 100-year-old venetian style bed. The Italian read comforter on the bed is flanked by a brass headboard and footboard. To the right of bed is a set of long, thin French doors that open out to a private balcony that looks over the Mediterranean Sea.  Our (my mother and I’s) room faces the ocean, but had we also been so lucky to be in a room that boasts a balcony on the opposite side of the building, we would have had an equally majestic view of the mountains. We are in Formia Italy, a little seaside town south of Rome that even many Italians have not heard of. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let me back up a bit. Let’s back up 12 days to the beginning of my trip and the crossing of the pond (AKA the longest 48 hours of my life!)
I somehow managed to fit 35 days’ worth of clothing into a carryon piece of luggage. It was definitely hard deciding what to pack when I knew I was facing 90-degree weather in Rome, 70-degree weather in the UK and 40-degree weather in Iceland! But I decided to pack for the happy medium of 70 degrees and resigned myself to being just a little too hot in Italy and just a little too cold in Iceland.  I hopped in the car and Sam drove me to the airport.
On the way to the airport I cried. Now let’s be real, I am an easy crier. I cry multiple times a week (just a couple tears)- mostly in response to something I find touching, or pitiful, or terrifying, or adorable, or devastating, or invigorating…… I think you get my point.  Anyway, I cried because I was going to miss Sam and my dog, and my friends, but mainly Sam. And Sam gently reminded me that I was, in fact, about to fly to Italy, to spend time with my mother, walk ancient cobble-stoned streets, eat homemade pasta, and attend a stimulating writer’s workshop. He also reminded me that I would see him in a short 14 days, in Rome.  With that logic, I couldn’t help but agree, so I hopped out of the car at the Indianapolis airport, quickly kissed Sam goodbye, demanded that he send me daily pictures of our dog, and headed off to catch my first flight to New York where I would meet my mother.
The first two Flights went off without a hitch. I flew to NYC and met up with my mom and then the two of us flew to Toronto where we would catch our flight to London. Unfortunately, this is where our luck ended. Check out the Vlog (Video Blog) below to see how our trip unfolded. (Sorry about the poor editing- I only have time to throw all of the footage together and call it good!)



-Kelsey


PS-I know that the dates are off and this was uploaded the 25th not the 22nd but it wasn’t until now that we had a strong enough wifi signal. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment